This article is about the original Webnode editor. If your site was created in the new editor, you can go to the new article How to Edit Your 404 Error Page.
What is a "Page Not found (Error 404)" used for?
The "Page not found" (or Error 404) message is shown when the browser cannot display the requested page for any reason. It´s uncomfortable not only for your visitors, but also for search engine optimisation.
Example of (bad) Error page
- the web address is misspelled or it is an old bookmark
- old link from search results
- invalid internal link of the current website
- invalid link to or from another website.
How to create your own custom 404 error page?
It is recommended to place at least one of the following points:
- link to the homepage
- sitemap link or, what´s better, the sitemap itself
- search box or a link to the page where you can find one
- contact information of the webmaster
These points allow the user to navigate the website easily and to continue browsing through your site.
Example of good Error page
To configure the page follow these steps:
1. Click on "Go to Page", and expand "System pages" by clicking on "+"
2. Select "Page not found".
3. The error page is then displayed and to change the message click "Edit content".
4. Then the "Text and images" window is displayed. You can change the text in this window as like any other text in the text editor. Make the desired changes and click "Save" to confirm the changes.
5. The 404 error page can look like this for example:
TIP: You will find some examples of error pages in the article Error Pages:Reloaded and take a look at the Creative 404 Error Pages With Characters website to get some inspiration!